Monday, August 1, 2011

Removing splints - 96 days (approx 13 weeks)

I had a few set backs in the first couple weeks of wearing the splint. Mostly around moving my finger while trying to make new splints, but I did have one catastrophic splint failure where the fingernail popped off during an exercise workout (May 12th) and I felt my finger bend too far. This was back before I figured how to hook the splint over the nail and to avoid getting oils on the glued area.

So, I figure total healing time puts me at 11 weeks.

DIP joint is stiff and I can clearly feel tension when I flex that joint beyond 20 degrees, so I'm taking it easy and wearing a splint at night. However, instead of gluing the splint, I'm just taping both ends.



Here's the condition of my finger after removing the flexible splint.
Slightly swollen still. Fingernail has ridges.

Top view

Trying to show ridges.

I don't think any of this is unusual and I'm pretty sure my nail would look find if I went to a salon and got a manicure.

Showing range of movement for finger.
One side bonus of wearing a splint, I've trained myself to not bend that finger too much.



 I'm super happy with the latest splint design with the tubing used at the fingertip. I think it should become part of the standard design. Only problem is I used some thick walled tubing I bought years ago and I don't remember the source.


A lot of flex can be absorbed by the tubing.
Getting the correct tubing is key. Thermal plastic will not bond to every type of silicon/vinyl tubing out there.

Condition of the last prototype

I did remove some plastic that covered the silicon tubing to allow more range of motion. I used a razor and a warm coffee cup to smooth it out.


Closeup of flexible part

Tip still has superglue on bottom.

Thermal plastic stayed smooth and comfortable near PIP joint.

Next

Next step is to purchase a bunch of different types of tubing and test how thermal plastic behaves with it.

No comments: